Saturday, November 13, 2010

You don't reap rewards without risk and hard work

I have been reading a great book given to me by a friend.  It has a message about the difference between being an employee and being an entrepreneur.  It talks about climbing the corporate ladder in a job and no matter how high you climb, the view you see is that of someone's behind.  I think I can relate to that.  There are thousands and thousands of people in my position in this world.  We put all of our hopes and dreams into doing a good job at a company and counting on that company to take care of us.  We call this security.   It is false security.  Our security comes from depending on ourselves to create our own income potential.  Being laid off was not related to doing a good job or being a valued or like employee.  It came down to being a budget line item in a world in which companies must protect their bottom line.  At least I have the peace of mind now to know it was not a personal or malicious decision made to take my job from me.  It was just business.  That does not make this any less devastating to me, but I am happy to have been reading and networking, and exploring my options.  I have a plan that revolves diversification of my talents.  I will begin writing and in fact I plan on starting several more blogs this next week.  Blogs make money through the advertisers on the page.  I have applied for a job as an on-line author, that pays a bit.  I have started an ebay business and have made a little money this weekend.  I am eligible to draw unemployment for a few months while I work on building these other businesses, and I am going to begin a network marketing career as well.  All the things I learned about business and management in the last 15 years can pay off for me to build myself a completely different career.  It will not be without a lot of hard work and thoughtfulness but I can do it!  I am going to begin my new life by taking a plunge without a parachute.  I am excited about it.

1 comment:

  1. One quote that resonated with me when I heard it was "Jump and grow wings on the way down" When I let fear paralyze me the results are never inspiring! Nothing ventured, nothing gained. The human potential is much too great a thing to waste on mediocre living!

    ReplyDelete