Monday, November 8, 2010

All the things I won't miss

I went to work again today, trying to have a good attitude.  It didn't work at first.  I got really teary with my best friend there at work and felt so bad for her, having to put up with my pity party again today!  So I left her office and went back to mine, closed the door and tried to dive into getting my business in order so I could exit my position.  A graceful exit is not an easy thing to do when you have so much invested in a company.  All my friends are there and they will stay there while I cannot.  I have a lot of items on my plate to "clean up" and "finish", complete with deadlines within the next 10 weeks.  While they are still paying me to go, I need to work my list to the best of my ability, even though I really don't want to invest another minute there.  It is a crazy, kind of conflicting feeling to be at my desk.  I am still getting paid to share my "intellectual property" and time.

But that is not what tonight's blog is about, is it?  It is how I finally found some peace to my day - midway through it.  I started thinking about all the things I would not miss about my job in management.  Things such as: 
  • Driving to work and all over the state in the winter weather
  • Taking care of patients when there is not enough staff
  • Worrying about not having enough staff
  • Scheduling staff and getting phone calls and text messages all evening long.
  • Having to wear certain clothes, make-up, etc every day.
  • Struggling to present that corporate image every day and pleasing everyone.
  • Having people tell me they are disappointed in something I have worked hard on.
  • Office politics
  • Being on call basically 24/7/365.  When there is no one to do it, I have to do it, and act happy about it.
  • Meetings
  • Hiring people, firing people, coaching people, uck.....
These things are sort of like my list of things I will be grateful for when they go away.  I liken it to the story of the lion with the thorn in his paw.  He had carried the thorn in his paw for so long that he did not realize it hurt him so bad, until it was removed and he felt the immense relief of walking without pain.  I think I may be so relaxed after January 14th, that I melt into a little pool of butter.  There is some part of me that can hardly wait until the day after my last day!  Now I just have to see if this feeling of some peace will last into tomorrow.  God willing, it will!

No comments:

Post a Comment