Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Small Success - A New Beginning?

After being rejected by the first application for a writing job a week or so ago, I found the courage to apply for another little writing job on line last weekend.   I had to submit a writing assignment specified by the company I was applying to.  The assignment was "write a well-researched 500 word piece on the entertainment and attractions offered in Salt Lake City".  So I dove in and researched, and researched some more.  I took notes and grouped my topics so I could write it just perfectly.  I wrote and re-wrote, and then had my husband tear it apart.  I re-wrote again.  I finally thought it "good enough" (not really - I was worried) and I hit "send" on the application.
Last night at 9pm, I got an email from the company;  I was ACCEPTED!!!  I have to admit I did a bunch of little happy dances right there in the family room.  I have my "first job" as a writer!  That moment of elation last night did me a lot of good today at work.  I felt better and was able to actually believe that leaving my job would not be the end of the world.  I have a vision of what I want to do, but I need to get paid for it, for goodness sake.  I might make it in this crazy pursuit of mine, after all.  I told you this would be a story of success and I am trying to make sure it is!
I think it is human nature for people to want security, and for most, that means a steady income from their job.  A job just does not mean security to me anymore..  go figure.. you lose a little faith in the paycheck guarantee after experiencing a layoff.
Now I can tell my mother that I am gainfully employed as a writer.  I know that will mean a lot to her.  Mothers worry about their children and I know she would be happier if I just told her I had a full time nursing job somewhere, but I know she also wants to support me no matter what I decide to do.  That is just hard for folks who still believe that security comes in the form of a 40 hour work-week and a regular paycheck with benefits.
So, as I promised, I am sharing my happiness and meager beginnings with you.  It is only right since you shared in the pain with me.  Keep reading and let's see where this "free-falling adventure" leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment