Monday, November 22, 2010

On Blogging

Why do I blog this private journey?  Blogging has turned into a wonderful outlet for me.  I can honestly share the emotional turmoil that follows the loss of my job, self-esteem, and a paycheck.  I truly hope the people reading this will feel empowered to be honest about their situation and feelings and that those who have not experienced a layoff situation like this first-hand can empathize better with those who have.  During the first 5 months of 2010, the United States experienced a 9.7% unemployment rate, and there were frequent and widespread lay-offs reported all over the country.  It seems to be of epidemic proportions.  It also seems that the middle-aged, more seasoned and higher paid staff seem to be the ones getting laid off in this economy.  This epidemic of lay-off is forcing many people to re-think their spending, earning potential, career choices, priorities, etc.
In addition to providing some therapy, blogging has the following benefits:
  • It is a way for me to establish myself as a writer and practice my skill.
  • My blogs serve as a chronicle of sorts so that I have themes and thoughts gathered in one place in which to draw future short articles, stories, or books to publish.
  • It provides me some opportunity to network and hear from others through the comments, so please add comments freely.  I have opened them up so you don't have to sign up in order to leave comments.  I would love to hear from you.
  • Most of all, I hope to provide insight or entertainment to people.
Most of my management career, I was told I was too transparent.  The ideal manager would be a role model 100% of the time in thought, word, and deed.  I fell very short of 100% almost every day, as my humanness always seemed to ooze out of me and I never knew what I should be ashamed of about myself to prohibit me from sharing it with others.  I like to embrace my humanity.  I think it is important that we all embrace our individuality and diversity. 
Now that I have discovered blogging, and don't have some false corporate image to uphold day in and day out, I can be just who I am and share it with others.  This sharing with others is what will make me successful at the end of the day.  I am finally real.

No comments:

Post a Comment