Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Coping through the last week of work

This is my last week to go to work.  It is getting more difficult to go to the job, as I am beginning to actually accept that I will not be going there anymore.  I believe that I am shedding some of the denial this week and the feelings of grief and anger are re-surfacing as the reality that I have been laid off hits me again and again.  My office is cleaned out and most of my responsibilities have been re-assigned.  In fact, I have to train others to do what I believed I was doing well. 
I am looking forward to Friday, when I can walk out of the building for the last time and actually let these wounds start to heal.  Beginning Friday evening, I am going to start my new life; one in which I will find peace and closure.  I will be stronger because of this experience.  I will be a better person.  I have learned and will continue to grow as a result of losing my job. 
Whether they call it "position elimination", "lay-off", "downsizing", or "termination", the grief process is the same.  With pain comes growth... what doesn't kill you will make you stronger.  I am confident that one day I will thank the decision-makers of this organization for this opportunity.  I just wish I could find it in myself to say it to them this week. 

No comments:

Post a Comment