Sunday, November 28, 2010

Faith during the loss of a job

I find myself battling depression and fighting back tears during this tough four weeks.  I let my career define me and now that it is gone, I feel shaken.  Being laid off or any sudden job loss will undoubtedly result in feelings of worthlessness, self-doubt, fear, anxiety, and depression.  Some sources say this can last up to two years, even if other employment is found.  The challenges this places on us personally can take a toll.  Relationships suffer as money pressures mount.  The depression, along with the self-doubt causes us to isolate ourselves, putting increased pressure on our friends and family to reach out and help pull us up.  This is taxing on those around us as well, and further threatens relationships.  
Many times throughout this ordeal, I have mentioned faith.  Many friends around me tell me they did not know I was "religious".  I don't consider my personal faith to be actually "religious".  I am certainly non-denominational, but I would not call that lacking in faith.  Without something or someone bigger and more powerful to lean on, I would surely be lost.  Sometimes my faith is all I have pushing through the tasks at hand.
Here is my favorite quote from the Bible, not unlike the favorite song I wrote about a few days ago:  Jeremiah 29:11 says, "'For I know the plans I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.'" 
The other quote of note is the one that warns us that "faith without action is dead".  So my new "job" will be to get out of bed every morning and take the action steps that I think are needed, with the belief that He has never let me down before and He will provide for me now and in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment