Saturday, November 6, 2010

How will you face adversity?

There are many times in our lives when adversity and challenge hits us right between the eyes like a two by four.  The sudden loss of a job is just one of them.  I have experienced others as well, as all of you have.  I have ended two horrible marriages, raised children by myself, experienced frightening illness, and experienced the death of a loved one.  I will not tell you that this is the worst I have gone through, for it is not.  The reason this is not the worst is that I have more living under my belt and more wisdom.  I have faith, friends, and a loving supportive family.  I will be all right and I know I will figure out a way to land on my feet, stronger for this experience, than I was before it.  I heard a great story the other day.   The original source is unknown.  It went something like this:

A young woman was complaining about how difficult her life was.  Her father asked her to put 3 pots of water on the stove and bring them to boil.  In one pan he put carrots, in another he put an egg, and in the last pan he put coffee.  After several minutes of boiling, the daughter asked him what he was trying to prove.  He said this:  "The boiling water represents adversity in your life.  Will you be like the carrot, becoming limp and and giving up?  Or will you be like the egg and get hard?  Or will you become like the coffee; transforming the water into something better?"

What will I do?  What would you do?  I hope to be like the coffee and transform adversity into triumph!  And here is the beautiful thing:  I have the choice, as do you.

No comments:

Post a Comment