Thursday, December 23, 2010

Adjusting to work at home

It is tough to adjust to the fact that there is no longer somewhere to go every day from 8 - 5. Doing job searches all day and waiting to file that unemployment claim every week can be depressing and tiring. The countless rejection letters and emails can shake your confidence.
In order to keep your spirits up, find something to do! Here are some ideas that I am using to keep my spirits up and make this transition a bit easier.
  1. Set up a home office and get organized. I have a place in my home (in the same room with a big window and fireplace!) with my desk and file drawer. It is just mine, and not used by the rest of the family.
  2. Make a to-do list and keep it up. I have daily and weekly tasks on my list and also a list of all of those things that I have wanted to get done but did not have enough time to do.
  3. Stay on schedule. Go to bed and arise at the same times. Get dressed for the day and feel presentable while at your desk.
  4. Find things to do that you enjoy. This is the time I can spend extra time with my 9 year old and I make sure it is valuable and enjoyable for both of us.
  5. Find a way to add a bit of temporary income if you can. Can you get a paper route, get some contract work, a part time job, babysitting for others, etc? 
  6. Take some time to do some honest reflection on what you want to do with your career. When you have made some plans, use this time to begin planning and researching how you are going to go about it.
  7. Write your goals for yourself. Maybe you want a 6 month goal, a 1 year goal, and a 5 year goal. This helps you stay focused on the steps necessary to reach your goals.
  8. Find ways to save money. Do you need everything you are paying for monthly? Can you clip some coupons to save on the things you must purchase now? Make some calls to debtors and explain your situation to see if they have a "hardship" policy. Many places will assist you for a short term during your job loss, helping you get back on your feet again. My cell phone company gave me a 6 month commitment to lower my bill by 30% when I explained my situation.
  9. Try some volunteering to help others if you have extra time on your hands. You probably will not look for a job 40 hours per week, so you can build your resume and make some new contacts by volunteering somewhere locally. If you have your eye on an employer that you would like to work for, inquire whether they have volunteer opportunities for you. This will make you feel worthwhile, get you out of the house, and build your experience.
  10. Work on your physical appearance. Exercise & eat healthy! This is time you can invest in you.
When something bad like a job loss happens to you, remember that it will get better! Take the steps you need to take towards your goals, and keep stepping! Don't give up. Don't stay in bed. Don't isolate yourself. Continue to care for yourself and reach out to others. There is something better for you waiting around a corner.

1 comment: