Saturday, December 11, 2010

The First Week of not working

My first week at home being a professional opportunity seeker is now over and I survived.  Emotionally, the week went better than I expected.  I didn't sit around and fuss and cry or carry on at all.  I had a full plate of items to deal with this week, like doctor appointments, phone calls, unemployment, applying for jobs, etc.
I spent a fair amount of time this week examining every "on line survey for money" website.  My conclusion after that exercise is that there can't be anybody making enough money on those to be worth it.  That proved to be a futile waste of time and energy, as non of them really appear to be more than scams.
Writing for an on-line web content company has been a good experience.  With 3 articles under my belt this week, I am honing my writing skills and learning new things every day.  I must say I have at least enjoyed that work and it has been challenging but it doesn't pay squat.  Just a few dollars per short article...  I will not pay the rent with that job.  Additionally, it takes the company a few hours to approve your work so that you can pick up another assignment so I will be lucky to get one done per day, for a total monthly salary of a little over $60 at that rate.
Even applying for unemployment has been frustrating.  I applied on line and even got an acceptance letter in the mail telling me my benefits start this week so today I went in to make my weekly claim.  I entered that I did not earn any money this week at my job and it would not let me submit as it kept giving me the warning that it "knew" I was paid some severance or vacation money this week.  So now I have to call the unemployment office and find out what figure they want me to put in that spot, or if I can even qualify for unemployment right now at all.
I had one positive experience today with my cellular phone carrier.  I called and asked them how to lower my monthly cell phone bill.  I explained my current situation to the customer service gal, named Sharon.  She was very kind to immediately give me a 30% discount on my basic plan cost for the next 6 months.  I thought that was phenomenal service.  The funniest part about that was that Sharon was counseling me on getting my next job in nursing.  She was certain that I could re-locate to Oklahoma and begin my nursing career over there, as she saw help wanted signs all the time in her home town.  Or perhaps, she thought, I could be a traveling nurse like her niece did last year.  Thanks Sharon! 
It has been a most interesting week, but not filled with opportunities knocking on my door yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment