Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Fear of the unknown

For the last two nights, I have had a recurring dream.  It seems so real when I wake up that I believe it was real for a few minutes. 
The dream involves getting a phone call from the CEO, requesting I come back to work for her.  There has been much more to the dream, of course.  In my dreams, this all plays out the way I wish it would have, and I feel reassured in the morning for a few moments, that I am valued again.  Then reality hits again and I am back to sitting at home, wondering what my next move should be.
To collect unemployment in Iowa, you must apply for at least two jobs every week.  That is frightening right now, on several fronts.  One fear I have is that I will apply for countless jobs and never be hired or wanted for any of them.  Another fear I have is that I will be offered a job, but it will be the wrong fit for me, and I will end up back in this situation again. 
The final fear I have is that I will feel the pressure to accept a job offer and climb back aboard that "hamster wheel of full time employment", forsaking dreams I have of being able to support myself through independent ventures.  Due to the fear of the unknown, the most comfortable position would be one of knowing where you were going every day, and what you would be doing, and what money you could count on every so often for your labor.  To trade hours at work for money in hand is what 95% of the people in the world do and where they feel most comfortable, myself included.  It is the 5% of the people in the world that I would like to emulate; those that pave their own way, the entrepreneurs.   Most of us look at those type of people and think they are somehow blessed or lucky, but the more I think about it, the more I believe that those are the people that have a vision and a plan of execution, and they believe in themselves. 
The two hardest things about being laid off for me are missing my friends in my old work environment and the fear of the unknown.

3 comments:

  1. Dear Julie I know how you feel. I have already been sweating the applying for two jobs a week. I have the same fear of having to take a job that is offered to me even if it is not a good fit. I will be afraid to turn down a job out of fear of losing unemployment benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment Linda. I have applied for two jobs this week, secretly thinking that I was not ready to accept a full time position yet. I will look forward to honing my interview techniques if they give me a call but I am not sure I will actively entice a job offer yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say...apply for the high paying jobs girlfriend. Most people do not see themselves as valuable as they have potential to be. They see themselves making a certain ceiling of salary, and not above.
    I believe you have huge potential.

    ReplyDelete