Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Role identity

As acceptance settles in, I find  role identity to be a bit of a stumbling block.  What am I?  Not who am I, but what do I do?  I know I will get faced with that question from someone soon and I don't know the answer I will give.  My friend reminds me frequently that we are not our job, but how does one define who they are without a job? 
There are many potential answers to that question swirling in my mind:
  • Writer and Blogger -  I feel that doesn't quite tell it, as it is more of a hobby at this point than a career.
  • Stay at home mom - That is close, but doesn't seem to quite fit a 50 year old woman raising a 9 year old grandchild, who goes to school all day, especially since I aspire to more.
  • Network marketer - I am involved with a network marketing company but something about that title just invokes a negative connotation to people, like all I focus on is selling them some product they don't need to make myself money.. that is not what I want to be.  Even though I want to stay involved on a successful level with Isagenix, it will not be by hard sell to family and friends!
  • Unemployed - that seems a bit negative too, although true at this time.  But is also insinuates that I am specifically looking for my next corporate opportunity, and in truth, I am not sure how hard I am looking yet.  
  • Opportunity seeker - my husband says that sounds kind of seedy, and I guess it does.
So overall, when someone asks what I do for a living, I will have to answer some vague spiel that probably sounds a bit lame and confusing.  Perhaps that is exactly the problem!  I feel a bit lame and confused.  Lame in the sense that I feel emotionally crippled right now due to the recent loss and lower self esteem, and confused because I really don't have a clear vision for what I will be doing 1 year from now.
I was told in the past that I had vision.  Not that I could see the future really, but that I was always thinking out about 3 years.  The difficult part I had was to get others to see the same vision I was seeing and take the steps necessary to take us there as a team. 
Now that I am just a team of one (or two, if you count the husband), I should just be able to see this fantastic vision and work the steps I need to get there. 
Aha!  Here is the answer to my conundrum: "I support those who desire weight loss and enhanced health, while beginning a writing career."
I think that is "my true north". 

Have It All:Health, Wealth & Freedom

1 comment:

  1. good resolution...I believe you are continually growing into who you are. It is not a static thing, but rather kinetic.

    ReplyDelete