Thursday, February 3, 2011

This My 2 Month Anniversary of My Last Day at Work - Selling on Ebay

The announcement that my position was eliminated came on October 20, a day that I will never forget. My last day of work at my job was December 3, another hallmark day. I vividly remember that last day just two months ago and the pain that I experienced leaving my friends and the familiar environment of work. It has been quite a roller coaster ride since then but not all bad.
I am truly enjoying staying home to be closer to my family. My husband has been supportive and helpful in ways I never knew he could be. The kids have been by my side celebrating even the successes that they don't fully understand. Parents and sister have been like a rock for me through all the emotional ups and downs.
Funny how life throws curve balls at us that we can never anticipate. Just the other day, Mike said "I never dreamed we would both be home like this together and doing ok financially." Yes, we are financially solvent at this time, but it has not been without worry and a little anxiety.

I have a couple of gigs going right now via online at home. They are paying me some self-employment income that subsidizes my unemployment income, which helps a lot paying the bills. One of the businesses that I have started is on e-Bay.

E-bay is an amazing marketplace that you can use to make some extra money. We all have items around our house that others want, if we can get creative and willing to sell them. For me, I am selling all my old size 18 professional clothes on ebay and actually doing well with them. I have lost 28 pounds in the last 2 months through a weight loss program and these clothes do not fit anymore but they still have a lot of wear left in them and people are buying them from me. E-bay makes it so easy for me. I list the auctions starting at 99 cents and list them for a week. Using the "calculated shipping option", I simply have to determine how much each item weighs and it calculates the shipping for the buyer and the buyer pays for the shipping. All postage supplies are free through the United States Postal Service and I can even print my shipping labels from my Paypal account and pay for them from home. Then I simply drop my packages off at a nearby post office and do not even have to stand in line. To offset the low cost of my auctions, I have added an invisible $1.00 handling charge to the cost of shipping for my buyers so I will be sure to make some profit even if an item does not get more than the 99 cent bid.

In order to start on ebay and do this for yourself, you will need some postage supplies, a digital camera, and a postage quality scale to weigh your items. I have found Amazon is another amazing marketplace and you can purchase almost any imaginable item there, including a postage scale. It will be delivered to your door in a few days. Check out the one I have featured for you here. This method of making money is fun and easy and anyone can do it from home!

This is the cheapest scale on Amazon and runs on 3 AAA batteries but it will do nicely to start your ebay business.

No comments:

Post a Comment