Thursday, February 10, 2011

It is Getting Easier to be Laid Off

I remember back to December when my period of unemployment began. I actually felt ashamed for anyone to know I "lost my job" or my "position got eliminated", as if it was somehow something that I could have affected one way or the other. I felt like a deadbeat, not having a job. When acquaintances asked what I did, I usually stammered saying that I was semi-retired or something that sounded kind of more glamorous and in control.
I can't say it is easy yet, but last night I was asked by someone, "What do you do, Julie?" That insecurity and shame began to flood my emotions again as I answered "I am a writer".
I was not sure if she would accept that answer and of course she said "I thought you were working as a nurse somewhere, when did you start writing?"   ouch...
I told her I started writing when I lost my job. There, I said it! I was honest and it wasn't easy and it still didn't feel good to me but I can tell that it rolls off of my tongue easier now than it used to.
I didn't mention that I only make about $100 per week from my writing right now, on top of the unemployment I am grateful to be receiving, lest I starve. I did not tell her about my insecurities or fears. I did not share anger or sadness with her. It is getting easier to accept my new situation.

I really do not know where I will end up. This journey is exciting and kind of fun during some points of the day, but it is still full of uncertainties and sometimes I have to muster more bravery than I feel like showing to the world. But it is definitely getting better every day and I am a survivor! I make lemonade out of lemons. I am strong and smart and resourceful and I am going to make it!



For those who grieve, Christ offers comfort. For those who struggle, He offers rest. For those overcome by pain, He offers hope and healing. To those who carry emotional burdens too large for them to bear, Christ offers His strength.
In The Source of My Strength, Dr. Charles Stanley talks honestly about his own journey through emotional pain and points readers toward the wellspring of strength. He shares his own experiences with grief and shows readers how to overcome the pain, understand the burdens, confront memories, and discover the courage and strength to live freely in God's love for them. Written from the heart, The Source of My Strength is one of Dr. Stanley's most personal and triumphant books.

No comments:

Post a Comment