Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I was devastated to be layed off

I was invited to a meeting with my CEO on October 20.  It turned out to be a private meeting, just her and me.  The first thing she had to say to me was "your position has been eliminated".  I asked first if she was kidding.  It was quickly clear that she was not.  I saw her struggle emotionally getting the message out to me and I realized I was one of the faceless and nameless victims of today's economy.  I have to tell you, I did not think this would happen to me.  I am the Director of a small business unit that actually makes money for the non-profit company I work for.  I have been in good standing with that company for 12 years, and never believed I would lose the job I loved so much.  In the last week, I have been in the good company of 17 others in my company that are now surviving a "layoff", each in their own individual way.  I have had a week of roller-coaster emotions, insecurities, self-absorption, fears, and anger.  I want to share this all with you, in the hopes that those of us that have lived through this devastating life-event can bring hope, wisdom, and recovery to each other through this blog.  Please stop back frequently, as I have SO much more to share and will be updating this blog site 2 - 3 times per day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment