Thursday, January 27, 2011

Success Through a Positive Mental Attitude

When all is going well, it is easy to feel on top of the world. A little good news goes a long way! But what happens when you get thrown a few lemons? Can you make lemonade or do you languish in the depths of despair?

I have lived through a bit of it all the last few weeks. Flying high with a few successful writing coups under my belt, I did not expect to fall back down to the lows again. It was all related to health this time. Counting on the purchase of private health insurance, my family of four applied to Coventry One. We soon learned that three of us were accepted and the rates are very low and affordable. It is not good insurance, but certainly will protect us from the catastrophic illness expenses that may occur in the future that might cause us bankruptcy. I never dreamed that I would not be deemed healthy enough to be accepted.

Apparently my 8 1/2 year ago bout with cervical carcinoma in-situ is enough to cause the underwriters to refuse to insure me. What a blow! I began to think of myself as unhealthy and in pursuing other insurance options for myself, I discovered that COBRA was about my only option.... at three times the cost of the private insurance premiums I was counting on. One unemployment check a month will go toward my health insurance premium. I began to feel defeated, even as a bad bout of respiratory flu set in last week. I have laid on the couch for almost a week now, feeling physically horrible and as a result, my positive attitude has sunk. Through some soul searching, the support of my wonderful husband, and this book, I have begun to pick myself up again.

Today is the first day that I could write in the blog and share this with you, only because I had no good news to share up until now. I recommend investing in yourself through books that help you have a positive attitude, like this one by W. Stone. The investment in yourself is just pennies, and if it can help you create your own success through positive mental attitude, then it is worth the cost.

No comments:

Post a Comment