Thursday, January 13, 2011

And I felt healed. I am finally believing in myself.

The stages of grief are a fascinating thing to experience. I did my denial and bargaining months ago. I conquered my sadness after that and just recently let go of my anger with a little help from a class about the 3 principles. So I am firmly entrenched in acceptance and skipping through my unemployed days in front of my laptop writing articles for web content just as content as can be.
Then all of a sudden last night came the nightmare. I remember versions of this nightmare occurring several weeks ago but I have had so many great nights of sleep that I had almost forgotten it. It seemed so realistic to dream through my last week on the job once again. It was a nightmare going to work every day, knowing I had to leave when I wasn't ready to go. The dream last night was vivid and could have been disturbing except that when I woke up, I realized that those emotions were old and these were just thoughts that appeared in my subconscious. I did not have to feel bad about those thoughts anymore, or give them any merit whatsoever. And I felt healed.

I promised this blog would include success stories and I think I am living one. Having recovered from the horrible devastation, I was still very afraid to enter the work world. My faith in myself was shaken such that just thinking about starting a new job was terrifying. But even that has turned into a feeling of joy at not having a job. I work for myself now. I have taken my passion for writing and searched and networked with people and I am beginning to see financial rewards from doing what I love to do every day on my own terms. I think that is a success.
The other success that has occurred is that my self esteem is climbing as I get re-affirmed on occasion about some of my work. When I first began writing articles I feared failure so much that I would sometimes sit paralyzed in front of my computer and unable to type. I have experienced rejection while writing but each time it stings less and feels less personal. I am getting used to it and I am learning from it. And each little step forward and each little successful article I write leads to an incremental increase in self esteem.
I think I could do this forever, like a new job. Wish me luck. I dare to dream to be an author and entrepreneur. For the people who are non-believers or who scoff at that statement, it is them I pity, not my situation. I am finally believing in myself.

1 comment:

  1. You are bringing encouragement to me and probably others as you blaze this new trail. Your freedom is enviable. Show us how it's done... this jumping and growing wings on the way down. Proud to know you!

    ReplyDelete